Monday, January 1, 2007

53 days to go...

Impermanence is real, in case I had forgotten!
The message came through clear but not loud. Rather, its opposite, through deafening silence when I least expected it.

My trusted PDA phone stopped making noises. Its speaker had died overnight with the incoming new year. When people called me this morning, I couldn’t hear anything, and they couldn’t hear me either because the mic had died too. Silence was the result.

Fortunately, the passing away of my PDA turned out to be a gradual event, as the sound and mic still worked through the handsfree set. I decided it was a clear New Year’s signal to buy a new PDA phone. Since I can still use the old phone with handsfree, I have a few days respite to do so and find a suitable model. How nice!

I used my PDA phone for just about everything but frying eggs, so it’s really important to me to get a replacement soon. I didn’t use it just to stay in touch with friends by calling, texting, and chatting, but also to plan daily what to do; watch photographs and film clips, manage money, write creative notes, make drawings, listen to music, etcetera.

Consequently, changing phones is something I dread, much like changing my computer. What about all the programs, the backing up, the reinstalling, etc. So what better time to be reminded than on New Year? I will “just do it”.

I basically did three things today. I started the day with more decluttering, which was good and not too tedious.

Then I checked out financial management software. Today it was the turn of Intuit’s Quicken (I reviewed MS Money yesterday). I found that both programs can do more or less the same, and I decided on MS Money because I liked the layout and graphical interface better. Now I am all set up to start managing my money this year, which is one of my two new-year resolutions.

I also got going on my other resolution, which was to eat better. So I took up cooking dinner, politely declined the help offered from my staff, and turned out a wok-fried mélange of broccoli, black mushrooms, tempeh, with assorted seasoning. It tasted good, and it also stimulated me to cook more and better.

An interesting day, a real new start in several ways, and I made it happen.

Photographs: Silent PDA phone, and new-year’s vegetarian wok dish

No comments: