Tuesday, January 23, 2007

31 days to go...

Should I follow the highway straight ahead, or turn left or right?

The road ahead looks wide to me, and I feel comfortable because of its familiar size and design. The roads branching off to the left and right look smaller and winding. There are direction signs, but it’s difficult to see where these roads are leading.

Some people I know choose smaller roads as short cuts, to save time. Other people follow smaller roads because they are more scenic and bring them to special places. Or because they feel closer to nature and less besieged by concrete and asphalt. Most people, in my experience, follow the main road straight ahead, trusting that it gets them where they want to go in the shortest time and with the least of bother.

I have enjoyed traveling on my life’s highway for many years now, and without regrets. Using all kinds of vehicles, and experiencing all kind of traffic conditions, I have generally chosen at intersections to continue straight ahead.

And now I am preparing myself for the prospect of leaving the main highway and spending more time exploring the smaller and winding roads. Not as shortcuts. But to enjoy the scenery from closer by, to discover new places and sights, and to get to know more fellow travelers and share stories and experiences with them. I’m happy with this development.

With one month to go until I turn 50, I am setting my course for more adventure, ready to encounter the unexpected. Less driven by desire to reach a destination, and more interested in the quality of the journey itself.


Photograph: (top) Choice coming up, (bottom) Sometimes there's only one way

No comments: