Saturday, January 27, 2007

28 days to go...

It’s late, already past midnight. I am tired and have to get up early for my overseas trip. But I am determined to write, and as I do, I feel better already. I also remind myself to smile, and that boosts my spirit further.

I spent most of the day with government colleagues, led by a charismatic leader full of drive. It was remarkable to witness such a bundle of focused energy, and I could sense how it gave people a powerful framework and direction for their work.

That is when it struck me how much responsibility such leaders carry on their shoulders. If they guide their staff in the right direction, much good can be achieved. On the other hand, if they are misguided in some respects, their staff will also follow, and the good work built up by their predecessors over years, even decades, could be undone in a short time. I reflected that power has to be used wisely, after careful consideration.

In a different way this also applies to the use of my own capabilities. I learned this week from the annual assessment of my performance over the past year that I had let my work spread out too wide. As a result, my achievements were not obvious to my supervisor in the same way as they were to me. In fact, last year featured many crowning achievements of my work over the past six or more years. I could see that bigger picture clearly, but my supervisor could not appreciate it in the same way. I learned my lesson that I will need to be more careful this year and limit myself to tasks I am sure I could accomplish well for all to see. And keep smiling.

Today’s page of my daily Zen calendar quotes Yogi Berra saying “It gets late early out there”. Frankly, I have no idea what he meant. Perhaps he was advising not to waste time in life and get on with my calling as soon as I can. If that was the intention, I agree with him. I am determined, with a smile.

Photograph: A spiral of power (19th floor, Intercontinental Hotel, Bangkok).

No comments: