Sunday, January 21, 2007

34 days to go...

Today started early and ended late. I enjoyed several parts. Coming to work in the morning on special request, I helped improve someone’s speech for an important event. In return, I was treated to lunch.

Then I brought my daughter to her singing lesson. The evening was very nice, with a dinner among friends, with lively talk and lots of laughter. How nice to get together like that.

Impermanence announced its presence again, with the speakers and microphone of my new PDA phone refusing to work. So only texting or talking with the handsfree set were possible. Tomorrow morning I will ask for a replacement.


Also, the cooling fan of my office notebook computer started making noises similar to the one I had to part with last December. I hope it holds up.

I received an email from the travel agent that my bookings to Bali in late February are confirmed. I was just exploring the idea of a week-long holiday treat for myself to celebrate my turning 50.


The practical people at the travel agent translated my non-committal thoughts into bookings. I am comfortable with the idea. It’s good to do something new and personal for oneself once in a while. I look forward to the adventure.

A few people asked me this evening about the progress of my research. It boosted my resolve to finish the article I am writing, with only another 10% of work to go. I will return to that job tomorrow.

I feel that my life at 50 is starting to come together. Of course there are many unknowns. Such is the nature of living, and that doesn’t bother me. On the contrary.


Like Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean adventure, I have acquired a magical compass of my own. It shows directions just for me. To many others they may seem unintelligible.

I’m now cultivating attitude and harnessing energy to walk my path.

Photograph: Enough lilies in my pond

No comments: