Tuesday, February 6, 2007

18 days to go...









Isn’t it amazing that there can be too much and too little water at the same time? That is the situation in Jakarta, where streets are flooded and piped freshwater is in short supply. Hence the hotel management’s request.

Tomorrow I am due to leave to travel to Hanoi. I called the hotel concierge this evening and was told that there is still 50 cm of water on the expressway to the airport, but that cars can pass slowly. Hopefully it won’t rain tonight.

I had a productive day writing. I finished two articles for my office newsletter, one press release, and one note with observations from my visit here. I also enjoyed two meetings with senior government colleagues.

I was concerned if there would be enough time to get a tourist visa to Indonesia after my return from Hanoi next week, but I found out today that I am eligible for a visa on arrival when traveling to Bali the week after next. That’s a relief.

And I had some delicious salak (snake fruit) in my room.

Now I am tired but I still have to pack my bags, since I prefer to get up slowly in the morning rather than have to hurry packing.

My life moves forward.

Photograph: Letter from the hotel’s management.

No comments: