Friday, February 9, 2007

15 days to go...

A superb dinner with great company, fine wine, magnificent parmigiano cheese, and music by Dire Straits and the Buena Vista Social Club.

The dinner hosted by my friend from Australia in his residence overlooking Hanoi’s West Lake was a fitting close to a nice day. And it reminded me how good life is. We shared our life dreams, and agreed that one of the most important ones is to enjoy life every day.

It was a day of constructive work for me, interspersed with nice meals. Lunch at Pane e Vino. Breakfast at my hotel lounge overlooking the historic Hanoi Opera. Meeting several friends and colleagues during the day. Negotiating traffic on several trips through the city, especially the multitude of motorcycles, and the cars and buses who drive like they were motorcycles.

What a bustling city, full of active people, full of culture, full of growth, full of young people, full of motorcycles. I felt lucky to see the sun, and the temperature was fabulous. This is actually the time of the Hanoi winter, which can be bleak, grey, foggy and humid. In stead, the past two days were clear, calm, fresh, and sunny.

Viet Nam is preparing for Tet, the festival to usher in the new year. Decorative trees filled with mandarins are everywhere, together with bushes of stark branches with pink peach blossoms. Gift packages are lined up on pavements outside shops, waiting to be taken and given.

I have to return to Manila on Saturday, but wish I could stay longer in Hanoi to be a participant in their celebrations. New year is about renewal. It’s something I look forward to every day. And I’m getting better at “just doing it”.

Photograph: Memorable dessert (top), and a multitude of motorcycles on the road (bottom).

No comments: