Wednesday, February 7, 2007

17 days to go...

I made it to the airport this morning, taking a long detour because the airport expressway was flooded. The detour was flooded too, but only in one location and that was passable without any problem.

My small inconvenience was nothing compared to that of the more than 200,000 people who were temporarily displaced by the floods.

After a smooth flight and a change of planes in Bangkok, I arrived in Hanoi on a calm and fresh evening.

I reflected today on some things that have happened in my life. Why did they happen? I don’t know.


Over the past few years, I have come to see life as a journey. I accept that not all that happens during my journey is explainable.

I feel good sometimes, and uncertain at other times. It's not difficult for me to see my smallness. I will continue my journey, and share good things with others, hopefully more and more.

A friend of mine has chosen a remarkable email addrress: “a small drop of ink”. He shared the origin with me this evening:

"Words are things; and a small drop of ink
Falling like dew upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think."

Lord Byron, poet (1788-1824)


On my journey, I am grateful for every kindness I receive, and for anything I can do for others. I can only see the next steps on my path. I keep walking.

Photograph: On the way to Jakarta’s airport.

No comments: